We’re going to Sakumono Ramsar site; all ‘hell’ will break loose — Henry Quartey

Sakumono Ramsar site

We’re going to Sakumono Ramsar site; all ‘hell’ will break loose — Henry Quartey

The Greater Accra Regional Minister, Henry Quartey has indicated that he is leading a team to Ramsar site at Sakumono to demolish buildings that have encroached on the land.

This is part of the agenda to ‘Make Accra Work Again.’

Speaking on Accra-based Joy Prime on July 6; he noted that 2,500 acres out of the 3,000 acres of Ramsar land had been taken over by encroachers.

According to the Minister, a core wetland recognized by the United Nations in that area has been reduced to 30% and would soon be swallowed by encroachers if nothing is done immediately.

He said his outfit would not relent in ensuring that persons who have taken over these sites are dealt with.

Mr. Quartey further added that the wetlands swallow rains from the Aburi region and in the absence of it; residents in the Sakumono area will be burdened with floods when it rains.

“We are going to Ramsar site. Mark my words we will go there and when we go there all hell will break loose. Ramsar site is well over three acres of land and they have enriched on over 2,500 and guess what? There is a core area that has been left for wetlands and all that, which is recognized by the UN and we are left with 30% of that.

ALSO CHECK: Ethiopia parliament sets up body to probe mass killings

“So sooner or later, Sakumono as you see it will be filled and encroached upon. You know what is going to happen? When it rains from Aburi, Akuapim and all that, the water finds its way through these areas. Now Ashiaman and all these areas are likely to be submerged when it rains and when there’s flooding people say what government is doing,” he said emphatically.

According to him, anyone who attacks a member of the city response team will face the full force of the law.