Tuesday , 31 January 2023

Ivan Toney charged with further 30 alleged betting breaches, taking total to 262 – Citi Sports Online

Ivan Toney has been charged with a further 30 alleged breaches of FA betting rules.

The Brentford forward had originally been charged over 232 alleged breaches of betting rules in November.

On Tuesday evening, an FA spokeperson said: “Ivan Toney has been charged with misconduct in relation to alleged breaches of The FA’s Betting Rules.

“In addition to the previous charge, it is alleged that the Brentford FC forward breached FA Rule E8 a further 30 times between 14 March 2017 and 18 February 2019.

“Ivan Toney has until Wednesday 4 January 2023 to provide a response.”

A statement from Brentford said: “The FA have informed Brentford FC that Ivan Toney has been charged in relation to additional alleged breaches of their betting rules.

“Our private discussions with Ivan and his legal representatives on this matter continue. We will make no further comment at this stage.”

Toney is co-operating with the investigation and will continue to play for Brentford until told otherwise.

The FA’s legal representatives and those of Toney’s are in the process of going through each betting offence he is alleged to have made.

This is a painstaking process and Toney has the right to respond to each of them individually.

It could therefore take some time for the FA to get to a verdict, which may not come until February or beyond, despite Toney needing to respond to the latest charges by January 4.

The FA assesses these offences on a case-by-case basis, therefore any previous examples of players breaching betting rules are not expected to have a direct bearing on the severity of any punishment Toney might receive.

However, it is understood he is facing a ban of at least six months if he is found to have bet on his own team.

It is also understood the probe into these alleged offences has been ongoing for more than seven months.

Toney, who was not included in England’s 26-man World Cup squad, had previously revealed he had been assisting the FA with its enquiries amid allegations he gambled on matches.

After a report in the Daily Mail claimed he had been the subject of an FA investigation, he tweeted on November 5: “I’m aware of a story about me in a national newspaper today.

“I have been assisting the Football Association with their enquiries and will not be making any comment until such investigation has reached its conclusion.”

 

About Qwobhy

Check Also

Mr Eazi featured in new star-studded #Boss Campaign

Mr Eazi featured in new star-studded #Boss Campaign

Oluwatosin Ajibade, better known by his stage name- Mr Eazi, is the only African artiste …